Learn SEO: A collection of more than 59 resources
Part of the reason why I’m putting this blog post together is for selfish reasons. There are plenty of guides, blog posts, ebooks, whitepapers, infographics and videos out there that will help anyone learn SEO and digital marketing. I’ve wanted a place where I could place a lot of them on one page. Many times I’ve been asked, “How did you learn all of this information?” or “Where can I go to learn more?” Well, this post is where I want to direct people with questions like that from now on.
When it comes to the field of SEO and how to learn it, much can be self-taught. I’ve found the ones that really want to learn more about it take the time to research on their own. I want to walk someone through a course to learn seo that if truly learned would help them understand a lot more about the field. I at least want the course to help somebody know how to optimize their small business website or whatever passion-driven website they started. A big thanks goes out to everyone listed here. The time, money, expertise and willingness to put each one of these together is appreciated. As new information comes out, I’ll try to update this post so it doesn’t become outdated.
What is SEO? It stands for search engine optimization, but hopefully these will help explain a little bit further.
- Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide: This document was first put together to help the internal team at Google, but they then thought it’d be just as useful to webmasters that are new to the topic of search engine optimization. We’re sure glad they did. It covers many of the basics of SEO, including creating unique, accurate page titles and making use of the meta description tag. Google then goes deeper into how to improve site structure, optimizing content and dealing with crawlers. They even discuss SEO for mobile phones. They walk you through a fake website to explain their points with more clarity. This is a must for anyone new to the industry who wishes to learn more about SEO from the people whose rankings you’ll be working hardest to obtain.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Google Webmaster Tools is a great place to find answers to your questions. It has a page that explains search engine optimization even tells you what to expect from SEOs and other agencies or consultants. (Thanks, Google!) Google also has a sweet section where they tell you questions that you should be prepared to answer as an SEO agency, like, “Can you show me examples of your previous work and share some success stories?” or “What kind of results do you expect to see, and in what timeframe?” They discuss topics from Google Webmaster Guidelines to Google 101: How Google crawls, indexes and serves the web.
- Beginners Guide to SEO – SEOMoz: The folks over at MOZ provide great information, plain and simple. They have done an amazing job of putting together this beginners’ guide to SEO for all of us, with 10 information-rich chapters that cover things like how search engine operate, how people interact with search engines, keyword research, search engine tools and services, and measuring and tracking success. Plus, they let you print it off in a PDF format. There is no reason why you should not read this if you want to learn more about SEO.
- Search Engine’s Land Guide to SEO: Search Engine Land also provides a wonderful guide that includes over 10 chapters of information. They cover different topics, but the information is still gold. Be sure to check out this guide to learn more about HTML code, site architecture, link building, social media and how the search engines are personalizing search results.
- The SEO Guide To Getting Started With Google Webmaster Tools: This webmaster tools guide will provide you with a high-level overview of what to expect when you sign up for and start using webmaster tools in the SEO efforts. Make sure you understand each of the key features and know what they all mean when it comes to getting the information that Google Webmaster Tools provides.
- 7 Minute SEO Guide: The folks over at Marketing Pilgrim essentially said, “Forget all of these articles, blogs, and books—it basically comes down to really only three main areas of SEO!” And they can explain them all in just 7 minutes.
- The Advanced Guide To SEO: The Advanced Guide to SEO, written by Neil Patel and Suhan Patel, dives deeper than the beginning guides by offering more advanced recommendations and information for the more experienced SEO. Their goal was to provide actionable tips to those looking for the information and they did just that. This guide is excellent and has nine great chapters.
- The Definitive Guide to Higher Rankings For WordPress Sites: In the course of doing SEO for clients, there is a high chance that you will come across a website using WordPress. This guide written by Joost de Valk is a must to read through and understand. He created, in my opinion, the best WordPress SEO plugin. It includes nine wonderful sections that talk about all aspects of SEO for WordPress.
- SEO 101 Resources: Beginner’s Guides and Tutorials: Search Engine Journal helps us all out by combining a lot of resources in one location. Listed on this post are Search Engine Guide Part 1–15, SEO Book resources, Distilled posts and more about how to learn the trade of SEO.
- SEO: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners – by KISSmetrics: This guide was written by KISSmetrics to help users understand that SEO isn’t rocket science. It helps you to understand that SEO’s real purpose is to help people who are looking for you find you. Or as my wife likes to tell people that we meet, what we in SEO do is organize the internet.
- SEO Guide for Designers: This guide is specifically written for the designers out there. It helps designers by explaining that on-site SEO isn’t just an SEO responsibility but also a designer’s responsibility. A lot of designers might not think that SEO is important for them, but this guide should help them understand why that isn’t true.
- YouTube Video Optimization from A to Z: YouTube—hopefully you’ve heard of it. YouTube is now the second most popular search engine in the world, with Google being first and Bing third. More people obtain their news through video than through any other source. Why sit there and read boring text when you can watch a cool, exciting video? This guide helps you know how to optimize your YouTube videos and channels.
- The Advanced Guide to Link Building – From QuickSprout – When I published The Advanced Guide to SEO to help people take their SEO game to another level, I was overwhelmed by the response. Soon after launching that guide, I realized that the most important and challenging aspect of SEO — link building — lacked an updated, in-depth guide. Not anymore. Here you’ll find a link building resource overflowing with value and depth. In other words, I’m holding nothing back. From guest posting to PR funneling, you’ll learn how to execute every effective link building technique on the planet.
- The Advanced Guide to Content Marketing – From QuickSprout – We wanted to give you the most extensive and detailed guide of advanced content marketing techniques available today. This resource is chock full of tactical, immediately actionable ideas that you can implement in your own business — to start building a community of fans and followers, to increase engagement and traffic to your website, and to drive sales. We’ve included everything from planning to writing to promoting your content so you have all the information you need to all be insanely successful and prosperous on the Web — all in one place!
Blogs to Follow
- Matt Cutts he joined Google as a software engineer in January 2000. He’s currently the head of Google’s Webspam team. Enough said.
- Seth Godin is the author of 14 books that have been bestsellers around the world and translated into more than 25 languages. In addition to his writing and speaking, Seth is founder of squidoo.com, a fast-growing, easy-to-use website.
- Moz Blog: Great advice on marketing and the change happening in marketing—and, um, it’s Moz.
- Search Engine Land: Must-read news about search marketing and search engines.
- CopyBlogger: Content marketing tools and training.
- Social Media Examiner: Social media marketing how-to, research, case studies, news and more.
- HubSpot: Inbound marketing and channeling the art of the funnel.
- Search Engine Journal: Search marketing advice, news and tutorials.
- Search Engine Roundtable: The pulse of the search marketing community.
- SEO Book: It’s an SEO blog and it’s good, so follow it.
- Social Media Explorer: Social media consulting, public speaking and education.
- SEO by the Sea: Explores search engine patents and white papers, and provides Internet marketing and SEO services, consulting and research.
- Marketing Pilgrim: Internet marketing news.
- SEO.com: Shout-out to where it all started for me.
- David Mihm: The industry leader in local optimization.
- Best Small Business Blogs: If you need more blogs to follow, here is a good list.
- The Art of SEO, Second Edition: Four acknowledged experts in search engine optimization share guidelines and innovative techniques that will help you plan and execute a comprehensive SEO strategy. This second edition brings you up to date on recent changes in search engine behavior—such as new ranking methods involving user engagement and social media—with an array of effective tactics, from basic to advanced.
- SEO Warrior (PDF): How can you make it easier for people to find your website? And how can you convert casual visitors into active users? SEO Warrior shows you how it’s done through a collection of tried-and-true techniques, hacks, and best practices. Learn the nuts and bolts of SEO theory, the importance of keyword strategy and how to avoid and remedy search engine traps. This book serves as a tutorial and reference guide for implementing effective SEO techniques.
- SEO Bible: This in-depth bible delivers the holy grail of online marketing.
- Search Engine Optimization for Dummies: By Peter Kent.
- Search Engine Optimization for Dummies 10 Books in 1: By Bruce Clay and Susan Esparza. This book is a complete reference of SEO. It could be read front to back but I use it as a reference guide to look up things. It has ten mini books covering many topics.
- Search Engine Optimization SEO Secrets: By Danny Dover. This book provides useful tips and easy-to-understand concepts to help any SEO learn not just the basics but also many advanced tactics. I reference this book often when I come across issues.
- Marketing in the Age of Google, Revised and Updated: Your Online Strategy IS Your Business Strategy: By Vanessa Fox. Everyone that speaks to clients needs to read this book.
- Web Analytics 2.0: By Avinash Kaushik. What to say about this book? Oh, I got it. Read it.
- Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs: New Rules Social Media Series. By Brian Halligan, Dharmesh Shah, and David Meerman Scott.
- Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business: New Rules Social Media Series. By Ann Handley and C.C Chapman. Content marketing is something that every digital marketer must understand. This book can help you do that. Plus, it has amazing, actionable ways to apply what you are learning.
- Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions: By Tim Ash. Getting people to a site is one thing. Getting them to do what you want them to is another. Tim Ash is industry known for his conversion optimization expertise.
- SEO infographics: Over 148 different infographics on a Pinterest board
- SEO Book Learn SEO infographics: Covers “Why Great SEO is Expensive?” and many more great posts.
- Why Content for SEO?: When you think of SEO, do you think of content marketing? You should.
- The History of Search infographic: In the last 25 years, online searching has been born and grown rapidly, starting with the introduction of the World Wide Web back in 1991 and continuing with the development of search engines, web crawlers and page rankings. Since then, search engines have constantly evolved as new standards are set by the rapidly growing Web world.
- 10 Reasons SEO Agencies Do Better SEO (infographic): Some in-house SEO professionals are excellent, but smart brands hire a good SEO agency. These are the main reasons why an agency is best for your brand.
- What is SEO?: A Complete Beginner’s SEO Guide : Why does SEO matter? With over 240 million people in the United States using the internet and 80% of those people looking strictly at the organic listings in search engines, where your website ranks is extremely important.
- SEO Strategies: Toss the Old and Embrace The New (infographic)!: SEO strategies as well as processes have changed drastically. These changes clearly indicate that SEO is not a mechanical task anymore, the SEO experts have to bring a creative bend to it.
- The 20-Minute (Or Less) SEO Audit with infographic: Sniffing out most of a website’s basic search engine optimization problems can be done in 20 minutes or less if you know what you’re doing. Here are the essentials for an effective and fast SEO audit.
- SEO Salaries And The Best Cities For SEO Jobs: The SEO Salary Guide offers a look at what cities have the highest volume of SEO jobs, which SEO jobs are in the highest demand, and what the earning potential is for each segment.
- How Search Works: Matt Cutts explains how search works.
- SEO for startups in under 10 minutes: Google Webmaster Tools provides tips on how to get started with SEO.
- How to Search Engine Optimize a Website – SEO 101: Damon Greene explains how to optimize a website.
- Getting Started with Google Analytics Webinar: The basics you need to know to get started with Google Analytics.
- Analytics For Agencies #1: Introducing the New Version of Google Analytics—although this series is targeted to agencies, it is also relevant to marketers and general users of Google Analytics.
- What is Search Engine Optimization? by Search Engine Land
Free 15 Minute Consultation
Fluid's digital marketing team puts together a customized strategy that will work for the keywords that you are trying to rank for.Sign Up Today >>